The American Herbal Products Association's (AHPA) Board of Trustees recently adopted a trade requirement to support the safe-use and proper-identification of undiluted essential oils used topically and offered for retail sale.
The trade requirement, which AHPA members must come into compliance with by Jan. 9, 2010, requires that undiluted essential oils offered for retail sale and intended for topical use include all of the following information or statements on package labels:
- "Keep out of reach of children" or significantly similar cautionary language
- "External Use Only," "Not for Internal Use," "Not for Ingestion" or significantly similar cautionary language
- "Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes" or significantly similar cautionary language
- The Latin name of the plant from which the essential oil is derived
- Identification of the plant part from which the essential oil is derived
All of AHPA's trade requirements and guidance policies are available on AHPA's Web site.