Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Going Green: E-tips for Aromatherapy Awareness

By Kayla Fioravanti, Registered Aromatherapist
Back to School with Aromatherapy

Every school year I add another essential oil to my arsenal of therapies I use to deal with the "sickies and ickies" that the kids pick up at school. My kids are totally healthy all summer long but once they hit the classroom it seems the germs accumulate overnight. With aromatherapy we encounter less and less sick days as the years go on. There are several lines of defense that a mother can take. It takes a combination of being proactive and reactive to get through a school year successfully.

Back to school haircuts is the first indicator that it is time to add Tea Tree essential oil to the kids shampoo for lice prevention, because prevention is the best medicine for lice. My family has witnessed a lot of head lice outbreaks, but we have avoided being involved by adding just 1-2 drops of Tea Tree essential oil per ounce of shampoo and conditioner. In addition, whenever there is an outbreak at school I always make sure to apply Tea Tree through their hair. I simply get a few drops of Tea Tree essential oil onto my finger tips and run my hands through their hair from root to tip. [...]

Avoiding illness is critical for our children because they suffer from asthma. Any respiratory ailment sends their asthma into overdrive. Treating the air in our car and home for their asthma relief has become common place in our household. I developed the essential oil blend Breathe Green using Sweet Basil, Rosemary, Laurel leaf, Peppermint, Ginger, Eucalyptus, Ravensara and Lemon to respond to their immune and respiratory needs. A few days after I first blended Breathe Green I dispersed it into the car and successfully averted an Emergency Room trip. That was my first indicator that I was onto something with the Breathe Green blend. Last school year we used it in combination with asthma medications to successfully avoid respiratory infections, urgent care and emergency trips which had been the norm in the past.

On the first day of school I always carry a bottle of lavender with me to school. Everyone knows me as the aromatherapy lady so no one questions my lavender scented hand coming to touch the head of their teary anxiety ridden child. A simple method of helping moms and kids who are struggling with separation anxiety is to hand them a tissue with subtle scents of Lavender transferred from your fingers. It works every time not only does the Lavender calm the child but the interruption of the crisis helps to dissipate anxiety.

>> Want more information about aromatherapy? Check out our Introduction to Aromatherapy classes

>> Read Kayla's full-length article on the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy blog

No comments:

ShareThis